Adding a Partner or De Facto to Student Visa

If your currently hold a student visa and your spouse or partner is not included as a dependent (secondary applicant), it is possible to add them to your student visa application (subclass 500).

The criteria to being eligible to add your De Facto, Partner or Spouse to your student visa you must fall under one of the following:

  • married,
  • show you have been in a de facto relationship with your partner for at least 12 months or
  • show you live with your partner and willing to register your relationship in the State or Territory government Relationship Registers

Work rights for a partner student visa

When your partner is granted a student visa as a dependent (secondary applicant) your partner will have the same work rights restrictions as you do on your student visa. For example if you have a 40hour/fortnight work limitation on your student visa, the same applies to your spouse’s student visa.