English Requirements for Australian Visas
Here is a list of the most commonly used Australian visas and their English requirements.
Level of English required for all Australian visas
|Visa Type||Level of English|
|482 TSS Visa|
|ENS 186 visa||IELTS 6 in all skills or equivalent|
|RSMS 187 visa||IELTS 6 in all skills or equivalent|
|Most Skilled Migration visas (189 visa, 190 visa and 491 visa and 494 visa)||
Other Australian visas and their English requirements:
- Training visa (subclass 407): Functional English (average 4.5 in IELTS or equivalent)
- Temporary Activity visa (subclass 408): Functional English (average 4.5 in IELTS or equivalent)
- Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403): No English requirement
- Graduate Temporary 485 Visa: IELTS (Academic or General Training) overall average of 6 and at least 5 in each band or equivalent (or equivalent)
- Recognised Graduate (476): Overall score of at least IELTS 6 with a minimum score of 5 for each of the 4 parts (or equivalent)
- Skilled Regional visa (subclass 887): No English requirement for the main applicant
- Distinguished Talent visa (124 visa): All applicants must have functional English or you will need to pay an extra charge, called the second instalment to be granted this visa
- Functional English: for secondary applicants seeking to avoid paying the English Language Charge
188A & 188B Business visas: There is no minimum English language requirement for the business migration subclasses. However, applicants with less than functional English will need to pay an English Language Charge before receiving their visas.
Points are available for:
- Vocational English (5 minimum in each of the 4 components of IELTS or equivalent): 5 points
- Proficient English (7 minimum in each of the 4 components of IELTS or equivalent): 10 points
Validity of English Tests
Tests conducted up to 3 years prior to lodgement of an application are accepted by the Department of Immigration.
Applications that need a functional English require testing to have been done at most 12 months before lodgement.
A summary of test score equivalencies for all English language tests accepted by the department is provided below.
|English Language proficiency level||IELTS||TOEFL iBT||PTE Academic||OET||Cambridge (CAE)|
|Vocational||5.0||Listening & Reading 4.0
Writing & Speaking 14
|Competent||6.0||Listening: 12 Reading: 13
Writing: 21 Speaking: 18
|Proficient (for points tested
|7.0||Listening & Reading: 24
Writing: 27 Speaking: 23
|Superior (for points tested
|8.0||Listening: 28 Reading: 29
Writing: 30 Speaking: 26
Competent English (IELTS 6 or equivalent)
For most skilled visas, you will need to show at least Competent English to meet the threshold criteria. If you hold a passport from one of the following 5 countries, you can establish competent English without completing an English test:
- New Zealand
- United Kingdom
- United States
If you would like to find out more about the English language requirements or discuss your visa options further, please book an appointment.