New Temporary Sponsored Parent Visa
In the wake of the budget the government has announced the proposal for a new Temporary Sponsored Parent Visa. This proposal is pending and subject to discussion in the Senate. According to sources, the new proposed Temporary Sponsored Parent Visa will have 2 streams:
- 5 year stream that cost $10,000 and
- 3 year stream that cost $5,000
It is important to note that under the current proposal this particular visa can be renewed, but not more than 10 years in total, so for the Australian citizens that intend to bring their parents to Australia on a permanent basis it may not be the best option.
On the other hand this particular new proposed temporary parent visa may appeal to Australian Citizens that are forming families and would like to have their parents in Australia to help them with care of the children. Given the current costs of childcare in Australia, some would argue that is cheaper to apply for abovementioned visa than pay for childcare or day care for your children.
Features of the new Temporary Sponsored Parent Visa:
- It is an online visa application – so far Parent visa applications were paper based applications, this feature will bring parent visa applications in line with other visas that can be applied online only.
- Under the proposal Australian Citizens will be able to sponsor only 1 set of parents at any given time
- Balance of Family test (BoF) which was an obstacle for many parent visa applicants will be removed from the Temporary Sponsored Parent Visa – in turn this will enable children who have more siblings living overseas than in Australia to sponsor their parents under the new visa.
- Visa holders will not be able to work in Australia during their stay, however, they will be able to volunteer or take care of their grandchildren
- Visa Applicants will need to meet the following requirements in order to satisfy the visa criteria:
- Sponsorship by the Australian child must be approved
- Parent will need to meet health, identity and character requirements for the visa
- Parent will need to ensure that (s)he does not have any debt to the Commonwealth
- Visa Applicant must hold private health insurance while in Australia on the new Temporary Sponsored Parent Visa
- Sponsors must pass the following criteria to be allowed to bring their parents to Australia:
- Be Australian Citizen or Permanent resident eligible New Zealand Citizen
- Live in Australia for at least 4 years before making application for Sponsorship
- Must meet household income test – there is no news at the moment on what the income threshold will be.
- Must not have criminal record and accept public health debts generated by the parents while in Australia
- There will be also sponsorship obligations, but the Government has not provided any information on what they expect from the Sponsors
The introduction of the temporary sponsored parent visa is subject to passage of the Migration Amendment (Family Violence and other Measures) Bill 2016 (the Bill) through Parliament. The Bill is currently before the Senate. Further information regarding the passage of legislation is available on the Parliament of Australia website.
If you would like to find out more about the current proposal new Temporary Sponsored Parent Visa or discuss your Parent Visa options further and evaluate which Parent visa pathway to take, please contact us on or send email to email@example.com