Remaining Relative visa (subclass 835)


This visa is a permanent visa which lets people stay in Australia to be with their only remaining relative.

What can you do with this visa?

As this is a permanent visa, it allows you and your family to:

  • Stay indefinitely in Australia
  • Study and work in Australia
  • Apply for Australian citizenship (if eligible)
  • Access to Australia’s public health care system

You must be in Australia when you apply and when the department decides your application.


From $6,415

Related: Remaining Relative Visa (subclass 115) -Offshore

  • You must be sponsored by your (or your partner’s) only near relative.
  • You must not have other near relatives.
  • You must have an assurance of support.
  • Meet the health and character requirements.
Who is your near relative?

Near relatives is defined as

  • parent or step-parent
  • partner’s parent or step-parent
  • sibling or step-sibling
  • child or stepchild who is 18 or older and not dependent on you
  • child or stepchild who is under 18 and not in your or your partner’s daily care and control

The department does not consider how much contact you have with near relatives when they make the decision about whether you are a remaining relative.

Who can sponsor you?

Your sponsor must be your (or your partner’s) parent, brother, sister, stepbrother or stepsister. They must agree to give you support, accommodation and financial assistance for your first two years of residency in Australia. This agreement includes any family members included as applicants in your application.

Your sponsor must be:

  • 18 years of age or older; and
    • settled in Australia
    • an Australian citizen
    • an Australian permanent resident or
    • an eligible New Zealand citizen
Assurance of Support

An assurance of support is a legal agreement you make with the department to ensure that the applicant will not have to rely on government assistance after he/she has entered Australia.


You must meet specific health requirements. The results are usually valid for 12 months. This also applies to all the members of your family unit included in your application.


You must meet certain character requirements. You must be prepared to provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past ten years after you turned 16 years of age.

When might you not be eligible for this visa?

This visa is not suitable for you if:

  • You or your partner have near relatives who are usually living outside Australia.
  • Your or your partner’s remaining relative is not a permanent resident or citizen of Australia.