VETASSESS Skills Assessment (Trade Occupations)
VETASSESS trade occupation skills assessment is for you if your occupation is classed as a trade occupation. VETASSESS currently assesses up to 25 trade occupations. These include electricians, hairdressers, carpenters, cooks and more.
Below we will go through the details of applying for a skills assessment under this category.
Overview – Application Process
- Check eligibility to apply
- Understand the assessment involved
- Check the occupation requirements
- Gather evidence to substantiate your claims
- Check the cost
- Apply for the skills assessment
You must make sure that your occupation is on VETASSESS trade occupation list. Please book an appointment to check your eligibility.
There are two different pathways. This depends on whether you hold an accepted Australian qualification or occupational licence, or you hold an overseas qualification or occupational licence.
Skills Assessment for trade occupations (Pathway 1)
You will have to pass two stages to complete the skills assessment successfully. Firstly, you must provide evidence that you meet the requirement of your nominated occupation. Usually, there is a minimum employment experience requirement you have to meet. It is as follows:
- Licensed Trades – 6 years’ employment experience (with no formal training)
- Licensed Trades – 4 years’ employment experience (with relevant formal training)
- Non-licensed Trades – 5 years’ employment experience (with no formal training)
- Non-licensed Trades – 3 years’ employment experience (with relevant formal training)
You may have to show that you have worked in your nominated occupation for at least 12 months in the last 3 years.
If you pass the evidence review stage, you will be invited to take a Practical Assessment and/or Technical interview. This will involve completing a series of tasks while being assessed by the assessor to ensure that your skills meet the Australian standard.
Once you have completed the two stages, a letter will be issued advising you of the outcome.
Skills Assessment for trade occupations (Pathway 2)
Pathway 2 involves two steps as well. You have to pass the evidence review and a technical interview. As part of the evidence review, you must provide documents to show that you have completed an Australian qualification or occupational licence. You must also show that you have worked full-time in paid employment in your occupation for at least 3 years at the required skills level. In addition, you have to show that you have worked 12 months in the last 3 years and if you are applying with a current Australian occupational licence, the 12 months employment must be in Australia.
Once you have passed the evidence review, you will be invited for a technical interview. This interview is approximately one hour. You will be asked a range of questions about your nominated occupations. Some sample questions include:
- What is a typical day’s work at your job?
- You have been given a task to do. How would you carry out this work?
- What steps would you take if you found hazardous materials on-site?
A letter will be issued advising you of the outcome.
Every occupation has its requirements. VETASSESS has published fact sheets detailing the requirements for each occupation. It is crucial that you understand the fact sheets.
Every circumstance is different. So, depending on your occupation, you may have to provide more or fewer documents. However, in general, these are the required documents:
- Employer statement detailing the employment period, salary, job title and job duties.
- Financial evidence to show that you were employed in paid employment. These include payslips, tax documents, payment summaries, superannuation documents and more.
If the documents are not in English, you must have it translated.
Processing time varies depending on the skills assessment program. However, it is typically around 13 weeks.
|Application Method||Offshore Skills Assessment Program (Applicant in Australia)||Offshore Skills Assessment Program (Applicant in Australia)|
|Stage 1 – Evidence Review||$1280||$1280|
|Stage 2 – Interview||$900||$900|
- How to apply for a skills assessment with ACS?
- TSS 482 Visa Skills Assessment
- Do Engineers need skills assessment for a 457 visa?
- Engineers Australia Migration Skills Assessment
- Occupations requiring skills assessment for 187 visa
- VETASSESS Skills Assessment (Trade Occupations)
- VETASSESS Skills Assessment (Professional Occupations)
- Job Ready Skills Assessment for Trade Occupations
- Accountant Migration Skills Assessment
- Outcome Based Assessment (OBA) for Internationally qualified nurses and midwives (IQNM) and PR Pathway
- Changes to Skills Assessment for Nurses and Midwives
- Skills Assessment Services
- Skills assessment and assessing authorities