Fisheries Officer – ANZSCO 311311
- Inspects fishing vessels, gear, licences and catches to ensure that fisheries laws and regulations are obeyed.
- Skill Level
- Alternative Titles
This occupation is on the following skills lists:
This occupation is not on the following skills lists:
To see if caveats apply to this occupation click here
Skills Assessment Authority: VETASSESS
Group: 3113 Primary Products Inspectors
- inspect animals, plants and agricultural produce and facilities to ensure compliance with government and industry standards with respect to quality, health and licensing.
- inspecting animals, plants and agricultural produce to identify product quality issues, and providing advice to producers
- auditing and monitoring quality procedures at farms and food handling and processing facilities to ensure compliance with required standards
- testing samples of produce for quality, size and purity
- ensuring that required standards of hygiene are observed at storage, processing and packing facilities and in transport vehicles
- advising primary producers on economic aspects of disease eradication and informing producers and the general public of the health implications of diseases and impurities
- advising on the identification of pests and diseases and on regulations pertaining to grading, packing and loading of products
- examining imported plants and animals, and products, such as timber, seeds and dried fruits, and making quarantine arrangements
- patrolling and investigating waterways for unlawful fishing activities and the removal of protected marine life
- educating, advising and providing information on a wide range of topics relating to fish and their protection
- may initiate or assist in legal action to enforce regulations
- Skill Level
- Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Occupations in this Group
- 311311 Fisheries Officer
- 311312 Meat Inspector
- 311313 Quarantine Officer
- 311399 Primary Products Inspectors nec