Psychiatrist – ANZSCO 253411
- Diagnoses, assesses, treats and prevents human mental, emotional and behavioural disorders. Registration or licensing is required.
- Skill Level
- Adolescent Psychiatrist
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist
- Child Psychiatrist
- Forensic Psychiatrist
- Geriatric Psychiatrist
- Medical Psychotherapist
This occupation is on the following skills lists:
This occupation is not on the following skills lists:
See if caveats apply to this occupation for an Australian visa here.
Skills Assessment Authority: Medical Board of Australia
Group: 2534 Psychiatrists
- diagnose, assess, treat and prevent human mental, emotional and behavioural disorders. Psychiatric Registrars training as Psychiatrists are included in this unit group.
- assessing patients’ mental and physical status to determine the nature and extent of mental, emotional and behavioural disorders
- assessing patients’ medical, psychiatric and psychological histories
- examining patients to determine general physical condition
- ordering laboratory tests, imaging, neuropsychological tests and other diagnostic procedures
- examining the results of tests and examinations to determine the most appropriate forms of treatment
- prescribing and administering medication, psychotherapy, and other physical treatments and rehabilitation programs
- arranging admission to hospitals and providing in-patient treatment
- consulting, supervising and working with other Medical Practitioners and Health Professionals
- determining whether patients require involuntary treatment in accordance with relevant mental health acts
- assisting courts and other statutory bodies in managing patients in legal and forensic settings
- teaching medical students and registrars, and assessing their progress by administering tests
- Skill Level
- Occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification, two years hospital-based training, and at least five years specialist study and training (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Registration or licensing is required.
- Occupations in this Group