Veterinarian – ANZSCO 234711
- Diagnoses, treats and prevents animal diseases, ailments and injuries. Registration or licensing is required.
- Skill Level
- Alternative Titles
- Veterinary Parasitologist
- Veterinary Pathologist
This occupation is on the following skills lists:
This occupation is not on the following skills lists:
See if caveats apply to this occupation for an Australian visa here.
Skills Assessment Authority: AVBC
Group: 2347 Veterinarians
- diagnose, treat and prevent animal diseases, ailments and injuries.
- treating animals medically and surgically, and administering and prescribing drugs, analgesics, and general and local anaesthetics
- determining the presence and nature of abnormal conditions by physical examination, laboratory testing and through diagnostic imaging techniques including radiography and ultrasound
- performing surgery, dressing wounds and setting broken bones
- rendering obstetric services to animals
- participating in programs designed to prevent the occurrence and spread of animal diseases
- inoculating animals against, and testing for, infectious diseases and notifying authorities of outbreaks of infectious animal diseases
- performing autopsies to determine cause of death
- advising clients on health, nutrition and feeding, hygiene, breeding and care of animals
- may provide professional services to commercial firms producing biological and pharmaceutical products
- may specialise in the treatment of a particular animal group or in a particular specialty area such as cardiology, chiropractic, dermatology or critical care
- Skill Level
- Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Registration or licensing is required.
- Occupations in this Group